Oct 16, 2020
By Gavin Day
Effective today, residents in care homes in Ontario’s COVID-19 hotspots will not be allowed out of their facilities for social reasons.
After long term care homes were hit particularly hard by COVID-19 outbreaks in the spring, a long-term care association has warned the province over its concerns that homes are still not ready for a second wave of the virus.
The Ontario Long-Term Care Association made the comments last month at the Long-Term Care COVID-19 Commission with the transcripts of their claim only recently being made public.
CEO Donna Duncan says staffing shortages were a root cause that led to deaths in nursing homes in the spring. Many care homes have said those concerns have not yet been addressed with homes continuing to report shortages.
Groups have been calling for more support from the provincial government.