ELLIOTT SAYS OVERDOSE-PREVENTION SITES REDUCE DEATHS

Oct 22, 2018

By Michael Kramer

Share on

Health Minister Christine Elliot says a review of Ontario’s overdose-prevention sites has clearly demonstrated that they reduce overdose deaths.

Elliott revealed the results of the review today – as she announced plans to enhance the program – previously criticized by Premier Doug Ford.

She says the Progressive Conservative government will spend just over $31million dollars a year to fund a maximum of 21 sites – that will also offer drug treatment and rehabilitation services.

Three sites in Thunder Bay, St. Catharines and Toronto – that had been put on hold pending the review – will now be allowed to open.

The Toronto Overdose Prevention Society calls the continuation of the program a positive sign – but says capping the number of sites at 21 will just limit the government’s ability – to respond to a very large public health crisis.

Join Our Fan Club
Coverage Area
Downtown Toronto
96.7FM
Toronto HD
96.3 HD-2
Kingston to Windsor, Parry Sound to Pittsburgh
AM740
ZoomerRadio Logo

Recently Played: