HUNDREDS OF RENEWABLE ENERGY CONTRACTS CANCELLED BY FORD GOVERNMENT

Jul 13, 2018

By Michael Kramer

Share on
The Ford government is cancelling more than 750 renewable energy contracts – a move that the energy minister says will save ratepayers $790 million.

Greg Rickford says the government also plans to introduce legislation – that would protect hydro consumers from any costs incurred from the cancellation.

Rickford says it’s part of a campaign promise to end the projects – calling them ”unnecessary and wasteful.”

Earlier this week, the government said it was cancelling a wind project in Eastern Ontario – that’s just weeks away from completion.

Meanwhile – an auto industry official says Premier Doug Ford’s decision to cancel rebates for electric vehicles – will have a negative effect on sales.

David Adams, president of the Global Automakers of Canada, says it’s been shown elsewhere – that sales of e-vehicles take a hit when subsidies are removed.

Ontario’s program offered rebates of up to $14 thousand dollars.

Data shows more than 7,400 battery and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles were sold in the province last year – an increase of 120 percent from 2016 –  when higher rebates were brought in.

Join Our Fan Club
Coverage Area
Downtown Toronto
96.7FM
Toronto HD
96.3 HD-2
Kingston to Windsor, Parry Sound to Pittsburgh
AM740
ZoomerRadio Logo

Recently Played: