PATRICK BROWN: ''I THINK MY NAME HAS BEEN CLEARED''
Feb 16, 2018
By Bob Komsic
Patrick Brown wants his old job back.
He arrived at Ontario PC party headquarters mid-afternoon and did not say a word as he went behind closed doors, where he remained until emerging just before 5pm – deadline for candidate registration.
”I’m going to make sure that with the support of our party faithful, that we’re going to get back on track to this important project of defeating Kathleen Wynne on June 7.” He continues to deny the sexual misconduct allegations against him.
”I think my name has been cleared,” Brown said after officially joining the race that was called to replace him.
Three of the other four candidates, except Tanya Granic Allen, have reacted.
Christine Elliot says on Twitter ”With fewer than 100 days, now is a time for unity. I am the leader that can unite the party and beat Kathleen Wynne”.
Caroline Mulroney, also on Twitter, ”Our focus should remain squarely on beating Kathleen Wynne in less than 100 days. This is a distraction from that and I am disappointed”.
Doug Ford’s comments are longer … but here are parts of his statement.
”The Ontario Progressive Conservative Party is objectively stronger without Patrick Brown” … it goes on to say
”As Patrick Brown said on the night he tenured his resignation to caucus, defeating Kathleen Wynne should be our only objective. Patrick Brown should focus on clearing his name. The Ontario PC Party needs to focus on defeating the Wynne Liberals in June. The Ontario PC Party is about more than any one person. This is a distraction, Ontario deserves better”.
Earlier in the day, interim leader Vic Fedeli removed Brown from the caucus effective immediately, meaning he’ll sit as an independent MPP when the legislature resumes sitting next Tuesday.