Jul 17, 2017
By Jane Brown
There is unsettling news about the state of some long term care homes in this province.
A published report reveals that at least 2 unlicensed care homes here in Toronto are overcrowded, unsanitary and in deplorable condition. It also says they’re being allowed to stay open, with provincial police and health officials turning a blind eye, because there’s nowhere else for the residents to go.
OPP investigators conducted a seven month probe last year after receiving complaints. It focused on two people operating unlicensed homes in Scarborough, though investigators say similar residences are part of a systemic issue across Ontario and services advertised are not actually being provided to the residents.
This information was sent in a letter obtained by the Toronto Star that was sent in December to an assistant deputy minister in the Health and Long Term Care Ministry. The letter was from the commander of the OPP’s health fraud investigations unit and also says that enforcing the law would mean displacing vulnerable people where there are no housing alternatives available, so the enforcement would not happen at this time.
A statement from the Health Ministry says it is addressing the wider issue of both supportive and affordable housing across the province, with $45-million over three years for 1150 units for vulnerable patients, and other investments.