Jul 04, 2017
By Michael Kramer
Authorities in Portugal have rejected claims by a television program – that one of the country’s most cherished historic monuments was damaged – during the filming of a movie by director and former Monty Python star Terry Gilliam.
Portugal’s General-Directorate for Heritage says an investigation has found that the 12th-century Convent of Christ suffered only “insignificant” damage during a recent location shoot for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.
A report published Monday says a program by public broadcaster RTP alleging wider damage “lacked rigour and revealed a lack of scientific knowledge.”
Gilliam has previously called the allegations “ignorant nonsense.”
The convent was a stronghold of the Knights Templar, a Christian military order founded in 1119.
It is classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.