Dec 15, 2014
By Michael Kramer
Ottawa says Ontario will get an additional $1.25 billion in transfers from the federal coffers next year.
Finance Minister Joe Oliver says Ontario will receive the most of any province – amounting to more than $20.4 billion in transfers.
Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa says the federal government shortchanged his province in 2014-15 by $640 million – when it went ahead and tweaked the transfer calculations.
And Sousa says Ontario didn’t receive the amount of money the province would’ve gotten – under the old equalization formula.
Sousa sent a letter off to Oliver last week – saying Ottawa’s changes put Ontario’s plan to balance its books by 2017-18 at risk.
Sousa now says the latest transfer figures for next year – put Ontario back where it should be.