Nov 21, 2014
By Jane Brown
The Canadian military will not be releasing estimates on the number of casualties caused by its airstrikes on Islamic State terror targets in Iraq.
Royal Canadian Navy Captain Paul Forget initially told a media briefing yesterday there are no numbers of the injured and dead so far. But later in a follow up interview, Forget admitted there are estimates but they won’t be released. He cited operational security, meaning the information could help the enemy.
Forget explained how the CF 18 airstrikes by Canada in Iraq are coordinated. “We are integrated with ISF forces. We are supporting ISF forces in accordance with the coalition efforts. We are helping shape the ground for them to be able to conduct their offensive operations and reclaim security and sovereignty of their country and security of their people.”
Canadian fighter jets have flown a total of 66 sorties since the mission against ISIL began several weeks ago.
Captain Forget says Iraq security forces are starting to regain territory from Islamic State terrorists, including an oil field and large parts of Beiji, north of Baghdad.
To learn about advertising opportunities with Zoomer Radio use the link below: