May 05, 2014
By Jane Brown
France’s Ministry of Culture is trying to make peace with Pablo Picasso’s son. 66 year old Claude Picasso has accused the Ministry of dishonouring his father by delaying the re-opening of the Picasso Museum in Paris. The 17th century mansion which houses the collection had been due to reopen in June after a five year 72 million dollar renovation. But the Culture Ministry said it will now open in mid-September, missing the tour season’s summer peak. Claude Piccaso said, “I get the impression that France couldn’t give a damn about my father or me.”
But the Ministry of Culture has put out a statement saying it has no interest in hindering the re-opening and functioning of one of the country’s most popular museum. The statement goes on to say “the Ministry appeals to everyone to put their own personal interests to one side and share the enthusiasm and calm required to complete this project”. The Ministry is also announcing the creation of 40 new jobs at the Picasso Museum, amid widespread concern that the delay was partly needed to recruit new guards.