TORONTO CITY COUNCILL TO RESUME ICE STORM DEBATE MONDAY

Jan 10, 2014

By AM740 Staff

Share on

Toronto city councillors ended their meeting on whether to ask the province to declare Toronto a disaster area following last month’s ice storm ended well past the scheduled three pm time. It will resume Monday. The cost of the ice storm clean up is estimated at 106-million dollars. The city is already facing a bill of more than 65 million dollars for damage caused by a rain storm in July that inundated parts of Toronto. Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly is proposing that the total bill of 171-million be split in three, with the city covering a third, the province a third and the federal government a third. Kelly opposed Mayor Ford’s decision not to call a state of emergency after the devastating ice storm but says this is no longer relevant. But Mayor Rob Ford says he’s the focus of political brinksmanship. Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti says Rob Ford did a good job during the ice storm crisis and should have his mayoral powers restored. Mammoliti says he’s asked the city clerk to give him direction on how to go about proposing a motion to restore Mayor, Rob Ford’s powers.

Join Our Fan Club
Coverage Area
Downtown Toronto
96.7FM
Toronto HD
96.3 HD-2
Kingston to Windsor, Parry Sound to Pittsburgh
AM740
ZoomerRadio Logo

Recently Played: