Jan 09, 2013
By Jane Brown
A Toronto casino is now expected to raise less money for the city than the original projection of $168-million a year by consultants Ernst and Young. The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation says a “hosting” fee would actually generate between $50-million and $100-million a year for Toronto. This is a significant drop and raises the question of whether other casino promises might not be as golden. Toronto residents will have an opportunity tonight to ask questions of municipal staff and provide input on the desirability of a new gambling complex. Toronto City Councillor Doug Ford says this input will be considered in coming to a decision. “We listen to the people and if the people don’t want a casino, then we don’t have it. If they do want a casino, then we move forward and we consult again to where they’d like it, to what type of casino, and what size of a casino.”
The public consultation takes place this evening in the Toronto City Hall rotunda. A casino consultation website went live last week, which includes an 11 question survey.