Nov 10, 2021
By Christine Ross
Ontario is pausing the next step of the province’s reopening plan after an increase in COVID cases.
Capacity limits were supposed to be lifted Monday in remaining high-risk settings where proof of vaccination is required. That’s now delayed for at least 28 days.
These include: night clubs, wedding receptions in event spaces, strip clubs and bathhouses.
Chief Medical Officer Dr. Kieran Moore says there are no other changes to the re-opening plan yet but he’ll review the data regularly.
“At a provincial level, I honestly don’t see us stepping backwards, it’s always been my advice to government that if we have to we’ll pause but we won’t take steps back.”
Dr. Moore did say there could be regional restrictions re-introduced, if cases spike.
He says the recent rise is mostly among 20-to-39 year olds, and in social settings indoors where masks are off.
While hospital and ICU capacity remains stable, Ontario’s rolling seven-day average of cases is now 502, up from 379 last week.
Ontario reported 454 new cases today.