Oct 19, 2021
By Jane Brown
The rescheduled trial for a now 96 year old former Nazi secretary begins Tuesday, five days after the woman was taken into custody for skipping the start of her trial in northern Germany.
Despite her advanced age, the woman is being tried in juvenile court because she was under 21 at the time of the alleged crimes.
German media have identified her as Irmgard Furchner.
Prosecutors say she was part of the system that helped the Nazis’ Stutthof concentraton camp function during World War II, 75 years ago.
She is facing more than 11,000 counts of accessory to murder.
The court has said the defendant “aided and abetted those in charge of the camp in the systematic killing of those imprisoned there between June 1943 and April 1945 in her function as a stenographer and typist in the camp commandant’s office.”
A court spokeswoman said after the defendant skipped the trial opening last week that the woman had “announced that she didn’t want to come” to court, but that did not provide sufficient grounds for detaining her ahead of the trial. Given the woman’s age and condition, she had not been expected “actively to evade the trial.”
To learn about advertising opportunities with Zoomer Radio use the link below: