Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on September 12 and 13, 2020 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the health benefits of probiotics with Dr. Philip Rouchotas ND, strategies for hosting vegetarian guests with Carolyn Tanner-Cohen, how to stay motivated in your yoga (and fitness) practice this Fall with Jelayna Da Silva and highlighting Black cookbook authors with Naomi Bussin
We specifically discuss:
- What are probiotics?
- What are the health benefits of probiotics?
- Boosting immunity: cold and flu etc
- Your gut is your “second brain”
- Can we get enough probiotics from our diet?
- What are CFU’s?
- How many CFU’s should you look for?
- What should you look for in a probiotic?
- The benefits of enteric coating
- Degradation of probiotic colonies: manufacturing vs. expiry
- Who should take probiotics?
Hosting Vegetarian Guests
- Putting four things on the plate instead of three
- Plant based proteins
- Eggplant as a main dish
- Cauliflower steaks
- Pan fried Haloumi cheese
- Zucchini fritters
Staying Motivated for Your Fall Yoga Practice
- How can we better understand how to motivate ourselves?
- What is a good way to motivate yourself?
- Just show up!
- Work from a place of acceptance
- Body neutrality
- How do you motivate yourself when you’re having a bad day?
- Is not having time or space a good excuse?
Highlighting Black Cookbook Authors
- Promoting Black cookbook authors
- Barriers to getting published
- Vegetable Kingdom, by Bryant Terry
- New World Sourdough, by Bryan Ford
- CONTEST!!! send an email to [email protected] saying why you love the show to get your copy of New World Sourdough
- The New Way to Cake, by Benjamina Ebuehi
- Jubilee, by ToniTipton-Martin
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
For more information about Dr. Philip Rouchotas ND go here.
To learn more about Carolyn Tanner Cohen go here.
To learn more about Jelayna Da Silva go here.
To read Naomi Bussin’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.