Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on October 22 and 23 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss the medication overuse crisis and how to deal with it with Geriatric Pharmacist Andy Donald, what it takes to be a big sibling with Big Brother David Owosoga, dining in made simple with cooking instructor Carolyn Tanner Cohen and all about The Knowledge Book with adherent Robin Preboy
We specifically discuss:
The Medication Overuse Crisis
- Medication overuse
- Why is medication overuse so prevalent?
- Why is this being missed by doctors?
- Are there unsafe medications for older adults?
- The “Beers List”
- Do pharmacists have the latitude to change medications?
- Pain and suffering as a result of medication overuse
- How does over-prescription happen?
- How do we un-silo the siloing of information?
- Creating healthcare teams outside the hospital
What it Takes to Be a Big Brother/Big Sister
- A decision to be a Big Sibling
- Why be a Big Sibling?
- The benefits of having a Big Sibling
- Key skills to mentor a child
- Questioning if you have what it takes
- What do you get out of mentoring?
- How do you actually help Little Sibs?
- Training for Big Sibling volunteers
- Coping with issues in the moment
- Time commitment for volunteers
- How does BigBrothers/BigSisters support their volunteers?
Dining In Hacks
- Why is “dining in” a hot trend?
- The challenges of dining out
- Not all hosts are created equal
- Dining in doesn’t need to be stressful
- Don’t make all the dishes yourself
- Including guests in the food preparation
- Themed dinner parties
- Have food ready when people come in…but not too much
The Knowledge Book
- What is the Knowledge Book?
- Why is the Knowledge Book different than other New Age texts?
- Finding the Knowledge Book
- The highest frequency
- What does the Knowledge Book Do for you?
- Who wrote the Knowledge Book?
- How do you consume information from the Knowledge Book?
- Is the Knowledge Book for everyone?
To learn more about show sponsor, Pharma-Z powered by the Health Depot go here
To learn more about Andy Donald go here
To learn more about being a Big Brother/Big Sister like David Owosoga go here
To learn more about Carolyn Cohen go here.
To learn more about why Robin Preboy likes The Knowledge Book go here