LEGAL DECISION ON TORONTO CITY COUNCIL SIZE COULD BE MONTHS AWAY

A decision from the Ontario Court of Appeal over the Ford PC’s decision to cut the size of Toronto City Council could take months.

Two days of arguments wrapped up Tuesday afternoon with the Ford government’s lawyers essentially arguing the province’s powers over municipalities are “limitless.” City lawyers meantime, want the province’s top court to deem the mid-election campaign decision last year as unconstitutional.

Political commentator John Capobianco told Zoomer Radio’s Fight Back with Libby Znaimer, he feels this is no longer an issue for Toronto residents.

“It was a battle back then. The election was had, people are now dealing with a 25 member council and I don’t think any Torontonian wants to see this fight back in the public eye,” said Capobianco, who says in the end, things are getting done more quickly at City Hall.

But former councillor, Jon Burnside, who lost his seat after the last election told Fight Back speed was never the issue.

“David Miller brought in Transit City, Rob Ford brought in subways, and John Tory did something else. Had John Tory lost, I’m sure whoever would’ve won would’ve changed as well. So it’s this constant change when you have a change in administrations that has led to the delay in getting things done,” Burnside explained.

Should the province eventually win this legal battle, government lawyers are asking that the city pay half-a-million dollars in legal costs.

Listen to Libby’s interview with John Capobianco and Jon Burnside by clicking here.

Jane Brown

About Jane Brown

Jane is the morning news anchor on the New AM 740 with The Happy Gang and the Associate News Director for both AM 740 and Classical 96.3FM. Follow her on Twitter.