Jan 27, 2020
By Jane Brown
A second presumptive case of the new coronavirus is being reported here in Toronto.
It’s the wife of the man who became the first case of the new illness inn Canada.
Public health experts say she has also tested positive for the virus and has been in self-isolation since arriving in Toronto on a flight from Guangzhou, China last week.
Toronto’s medical officer of health, Doctor Eileen de Villa, is doing the rounds Monday morning. She says this second case was handled equally as responsibly as the first.
“We know that the risk certainly, as the individual presented to healthcare, right from paramedics all the way through to their ongoing stay in hospital now, all managed with the appropriate precautions which I think should be very reassuring,” said de Villa to CP24.
Experts say the risk of human-to-human contamination is minimal, even for those who may have shared a flight from China or been in the airport alongside the Toronto patients.
Ontario Chief medical officer of health David Williams says the woman tested positive for the virus at Ontario’s public health laboratory.
He says given the fact that she has been in self-isolation, the risk to Ontarians remains low.
In China, there are 2744 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus and 80 deaths.
To learn about advertising opportunities with Zoomer Radio use the link below: