PROVINCE SAYS ONTARIO FOOD TERMINAL WILL STAY IN ETOBICOKE
Jul 08, 2019
By Maria Madden
The Ontario Food Terminal is staying put in Etobicoke.
After months of uncertainty, the provincial government announced Monday that following a review, it had taken the decision not to move the country’s largest wholesale produce distribution centre from its current location on the Queensway near Park Lawn Road.
Instead, Agriculture Minister Ernie Hardeman says the food terminal board will continue to examine ways to modernize the facility, with improvements to the farmers market to get underway shortly.
5,000 people are in employed at the terminal and back in May, farmers and grocers has voiced their concerns over it’s uncertain future.
There had been speculation that the crown land the terminal stands upon would be sold to condo developers, leading the opposition to call for the area to be designated as a significant employment area.
If the terminal was moved, representatives of the Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers said higher transportation costs would have led to consumers taking a hit on higher grocery prices.