COMMISSIONER: FINDINGS OF POSSIBLE PROBE INTO FORD GOVT APPOINTMENTS CANNOT BE RELEASED

Jul 04, 2019

By Bob Komsic

Share on
Ontario’s integrity commissioner says he cannot publicly release findings of a possible investigation into government appointments with ties to the premier’s former chief-of-staff.
Interim Liberal Leader John Fraser had asked the commissioner review all public appointments.
But in a letter to Fraser, Commissioner J. David Wake says should he investigate the conduct of Dean French, who resigned last month, under the Public Service of Ontario Act, he has no legal authority to publicly release any conclusions.
”I don’t believe that this serves the public interest.  Ontarians need to have confidence that the people who are appointed to high office in this province are qualified and free of conflict,” said Fraser in response.
Wake says he would be limited to notifying the premier of any findings and if Doug Ford wants to release those, he can.
The premier’s office did not comment when asked if it would release findings of a potential probe.
French resigned after news that appointees to two positions abroad were personally connected to him, and only hours after a third connection was revealed.
Join Our Fan Club
Coverage Area
Downtown Toronto
96.7FM
Toronto HD
96.3 HD-2
Kingston to Windsor, Parry Sound to Pittsburgh
AM740
ZoomerRadio Logo

Recently Played: