CROWN DROPS BREACH-OF-TRUST CHARGE AGAINST VICE-ADMIRAL MARK NORMAN

May 08, 2019

By Bob Komsic

Share on
Mark Norman is free after federal Crown prosecutors announced they were withdrawing the breach-of-trust case against the Canadian military’s former second-in-command.
The case over alleged leaks of government secrets, which was expected to play out during the fall federal election campaign, surprisingly ended after the prosecution decided information received from Norman’s lawyers last month, led to the conclusion there was no reasonable prospect of a conviction.
”The Department of Public Prosecutions decided to lay the charge, and they decided today, we decided alone, without political interference whatsoever, that we couldn’t make the charge,” said lead prosecutor Barbara Mercier.
Later, Norman said he’s pleased to be ”exonerated of any wrongdoing” but is disappointed by the ”alarming and protected bias”.
He added he has an ”important story” to tell Canadians, which he will share in the coming days.
Norman’s lawyer Marie Henein calls the Crown’s decision ”bittersweet” but should give Canadians confidence the justice system is ”truly unassailable” and that prosecutors act independently.
Norman was suspended as vice-chief of the defence staff, then charged over alleged leaks of secret information about a navy shipbuilding contract.
Zoomer Kids
You Don't Have To Be A Zoomer To Love Zoomer Radio.
Check out what the Kids have to say!
Join Our Fan Club
Coverage Area
Downtown Toronto
96.7FM
Toronto HD
96.3 HD-2
Kingston to Windsor, Parry Sound to Pittsburgh
AM740
ZoomerRadio Logo

Recently Played: