Jan 16, 2019
By Michael Kramer
Ontario’s environmental commissioner says fewer than one per cent of people – who weighed in on the province’s decision to scrap cap and trade – expressed clear support for the move.
Dianne Saxe says her office reviewed most of the 11,000 comments submitted as part of a public consultation – on a bill introduced last year to dismantle the carbon pricing system brought in by the previous Liberal government.
Saxe says almost all respondents wrote to voice support for decisive action on climate change – and many were dismayed that cap and trade was being cancelled – particularly before a replacement plan was announced.
The legislation to eliminate the system passed in late October – after the 30-day consultation concluded – but before the results were made public.
It was introduced in July but the final vote was delayed when an environmental group launched legal action against the Progressive Conservative government – alleging the province had flouted Ontario’s Environmental Bill of Rights – by failing to hold public consultations on the issue.
The legal action will still move forward – on allegations that the government also skipped mandatory consultations on a regulation related to the cancellation of cap and trade.