FORD GOV'T TO BRING BACK OLD SEX-ED CURRICULUM THIS FALL
Jul 11, 2018
By Bob Komsic
Out with the new and back with the old as Ontario’s education minister announces the controversial sex-ed curriculum introduced by the previous Liberal government will be repealed.
Lisa Thompson says ministry staff are working to quickly to consult parents and inform school boards of the decision to return to the previous curriculum that was in place before 2015.
(Tijana Martin/Canadian Press)
The decision follows a promise Doug Ford first made when he ran for the party leadership and then repeated the pledge during the election campaign.
Thompson also says the ministry’s looking into how to replace a $100-million fund earmarked for school repairs that was cut earlier this month.
Meanwhile, Tory Ted Arnott has been elected Speaker of the House, winning on the first ballot against fellow Conservatives Randy Hillier, Jane McKenna and Rick Nicholls.
The election began a rare summer session that’s expected to last at least two weeks.
Party House Leader Todd Smith’s outlined the government’s first three priorities; ending the York University strike, introducing legislation to scrap cap and trade and cancelling a wind farm project in Prince Edward County.