Apr 04, 2017
By Jane Brown
Air Miles collectors have voiced their disapproval on social media over a new rule that prevents them from using their points to buy gift cards and prepaid credit cards.
The reward program has also lowered the cap on in-store cash miles redemption to 50 dollars a day from 750 dollars.
Air Miles has emailed it’s members to explain that the in-store miles cap has been limited after stolen points were used to make purchases.
The program was suspended two weeks ago but resumes tomorrow.
Here is the e-mail sent on Monday April 3, 2017 to members:
Since temporarily suspending the in-store AIR MILES® Cash redemption option last week, we have been working diligently with many of our AIR MILES Cash Partners to reintroduce the feature.
We are now pleased to let you know that we will be reinstating the AIR MILES Cash option for in-store purchases starting Wednesday, April 5 at 5:00 a.m. EST.
The in-store Cash redemption policies have changed, specifically:
• There is a new daily redemption limit of $50 (475 Cash Miles) on in-store AIR MILES Cash transactions across all Partners, per Collector Cash Account, per day.
• AIR MILES Cash Miles can no longer be used to redeem for gift cards, prepaid credit cards or other similar items.
Here are additional steps you can take to protect your AIR MILES Cash Account:
• Every AIR MILES Cash transaction prompts an email to inform you of the activity and also provides instructions on what to do if you were not the one who used Cash Miles in-store. Make sure your email address always stays current on your Account to ensure you receive this email notification after every Cash redemption. It is an important part of the fraud detection process.
• You can easily “lock” your AIR MILES Cash Account, preventing all AIR MILES Cash redemptions from occurring, until you decide to “unlock” it. To lock your Cash Account, simply use your PIN on any one of our channels (airmiles.ca, our mobile AIR MILES App or our Customer Care automated phone system), and select the “lock” feature.
• For added protection to your Account balance on airmiles.ca, you must now log in using your PIN to access your Cash and Dream balances.
The security and protection of your Collector Account are of utmost importance to us. We ask that you continue to protect the security of your AIR MILES Account by maintaining the confidentiality of your Collector Number and PIN.
To view your balances or update your Account information or email address, please visit airmiles.ca.