Jun 15, 2016
By Jane Brown
Two pedestrians have been killed in separate collisions in Toronto, after a plan was announced to reduce or even eliminate pedestrian fatalities.
A man in his 60s is dead after he was struck by a cab in front of Scarborough General Hospital early today.
And yesterday afternoon, a 38 year old woman was killed and her sister has minor injuries after an SUV mounted the sidewalk near Rogers Centre at a small outdoor market.
“She was following a big vehicle, I think it was a truck or something, and she turned her vehicle towards the sidewalk and instead of pressing brake she increased even more speed,” said a witness to the collision.
The 48 year old driver of the SUV went into shock and was taken to hospital.
Mayor John Tory issued a statement last night saying “I am deeply saddened by the death of a 38 year old woman today. As Mayor, I am committed to ensuring that all of those who use our roads – pedestrians, cyclists and drivers – are safe.”
Maureen Coyle of Walk Toronto told Zoomer Radio’s Fight Back with Libby Znaimer, the only way to improve pedestrian safety is to make changes to infrastructure.
“That’s not just coming off the top of my head,” Coyle explained, “That’s based on plans that have already been enforced in other jurisdictions across North America, across Europe, across Africa and in Asia.”
These include crossing signals that give priority to cyclists and pedestrians, enhanced crosswalk markings, no right turn on red light prohibitions and reduced speed limits.
Of the pedestrian fatalities in Toronto so far this year, nearly 80 percent have been elderly people.
What ideas do YOU have to improve pedestrian safety? Call in on Fight Back with Libby Znaimer, hosted today from 12-1 pm by Jane Brown, 416-360-0740 or 1-866-740-4740.