Sep 20, 2013
By Scott Walker
Inspectors looking into conditions at an unlicensed daycare where a toddler died in July found a potentially deadly bacteria in food in the kitchen.
The Toronto Star is reporting that inspectors found listeria in a chicken stew, cooked grains, and deli meats in the daycare in Vaughan. They also found garbage with dirty diapers in the kitchen, and fermented tomato sauce in the fridge.
But the regional coroner says the findings don’t indicate there was an infection problem at the facility, which was looking after more than five times the legally-allowed number of children.
The Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care filed a freedom of information request to gain details of the report. Coalition spokesperson Andrea Calver called the findings “a public health nightmare.”
The Star is also reporting at least one child was strapped into a car seat while left unsupervised in front of a TV set. Her parents say she often came home smelling like a dog. There were 14 dogs in one of the two houses that were part of the operation.
The parents of two-year-old Eva Ravikovich say they are frustrated at the slow pace of the investigation into their daughter’s death. No cause of death has been determined. They have launched a $3.5-million lawsuit against the daycare and the Ministry of Education, which has admitted to not properly following up on complaints against the daycare.