Aug 23, 2013
By Michael Kramer
Toronto officials believe the cronut burger was responsible for up to 150 illnesses at the Canadian National Exhibition.
Public Officer of Health, Doctor David McKeown says tests done on food samples taken from Epic Burger and Waffles – which is known for the cronut burger, tested positive for a bacteria known to cause gastrointestinal illness.
Toronto Public Health has now heard from more than 150 people reporting possible food poisoning after eating at the fair between August 16th and 20th.
McKeown says they have talked to about 100 of those people and the cronut burger was the common factor in all cases.
The CNE voluntarily closed Epic Burgers and Waffles Tuesday evening as the number of people reporting gastrointestinal troubles began to climb. By Thursday night, public health had received reports from 100 people who had come down with symptoms of food-borne illness after eating at the CNE.
Epic Burgers And Waffles posted a statement on it’s Facebook page saying: “In the time that we’ve been operating at the CNE we have had a clean bill of health and all our staff have been fully trained in food safety.”
“We buy our products from only the top suppliers and we’ve never had any issues in the past, nor do we wish to have any in the future.”
General manager David Bednar says the CNE is now confident that the outbreak is over.
To learn about advertising opportunities with Zoomer Radio use the link below: