Jun 14, 2013
By Jane Brown
Results of yesterday’s police raids in Toronto and Windsor will be outlined at a news conference at Toronto Police 23 Division at 10:30 this morning. A haul of 40 guns, $3-million in drugs and more than $570,000 in cash has been seized so far. In all, 43 people have been arrested as part of a year long investigation called “Project Traveller”. The focus was on the alleged criminal activities of the Dixon City Bloods or Dixon Goonies and centre on the trafficking of guns and drugs.
Locations raided on and near Dixon Road in the northwest end of Toronto included an apartment complex where reports have said an alleged video that appears to show Toronto Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine was located. A number of news outlets are reporting that police began probing the video’s existence weeks before 2 Toronto Star reporters wrote about their first hand accounts of viewing the video. A CTV News report says that police officers obtained telephone wire tap evidence of persons of interest discussing that video in detail and referred to the mayor’s presence in that video. Mayor Ford was dogged by reporters yesterday asking him about the raids. He finally had enough when he exclaimed, “I’ve answered so many questions. If you guys can get it through your thick skulls, seriously? I’ve already answered these questions. I have nothing to do with this. I congratulate the police on doing their work. That’s it!”
Mayor Ford has consistently denied using crack cocaine and has said the video does not exist. During a news conference yesterday, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair refused to deny the video exists and when asked if he plans to update the mayor on the raids, he said, “I don’t answer to the mayor.”