Jun 03, 2013
By Jane Brown
Toronto’s mayor has reassured listeners to his Sunday radio show that he had a “very busy week” despite all the attention focused on allegations that he was caught smoking crack cocaine on video. Rob Ford says he tackled some “very important issues” at City Hall, while attending executive committee, meeting with the auditor general about Toronto community housing , holding a press conference about flooding on the Don Valley Parkway and about being briefed on the dilapidated Dufferin bridge. His co-host and brother, Councillor Doug Ford introduced a new segment called “Setting the Record Straight”. His first order of business was to ask for an apology from the Toronto Star for reporting a story that email and phone records of former staffers were ordered destroyed. “And I would like them to retract a story and apologize to the city and the mayor’s office and his staff.” Mayor Ford added, “you will have to pick me up off the floor if they do that. I swear I will have a stroke.”
Rob Ford made no direct mention of the drug-use allegations that have been dogging him for the last few weeks. But he took aim at Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne, who has expressed concern about the “personal issues” taking the spotlight at Toronto city hall.
Ford said Wynne “couldn’t organize a two-car funeral,” and needs to “straighten up” her own act before criticizing others.
Meantime, Doug Ford appears to be backing off his plans to run for a seat in the next provincial election. Last week, Progressive Conservative House Leader Jim Wilson told reporters, “Doug Ford is not our candidate” and “I don’t even know the guy.” The city councillor responded, “Jim Wilson made a comment that he’s never talked to me before, well that’s just not accurate.” Doug Ford went on to say, “I always said if it wasn’t called in the spring, I’d have to reconsider … Focus on the job at hand with Rob into the next (municipal) election.”