May 24, 2013
By AM740 Staff
Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne says she’s confident that Toronto city council will be able to carry on its work in spite of the crisis surrounding the mayor.
Speaking in London, Wynne says it’s unfortunate when there are issues that make it a tumultuous situation for a local government.
But she says councillors are “stepping up to their responsibilities” amid the raging scandal engulfing Mayor Rob Ford over an alleged crack cocaine video.
Wynne says there are “mechanisms” in place if there are legal issues, but no charges have been laid and it’s a personal situation at this point.
The premier says the governing Liberals will do everything in their power to carry on their work for Ontario and Toronto residents.
The American website Gawker and the Toronto Star have reported viewing a cellphone video they said appeared to show Ford smoking crack cocaine.
Ford’s own executive is drafting a letter urging the mayor to address the allegations as soon as possible.
The mayor has said little other than calling the allegations “ridiculous” last week.