Nov 07, 2012
By Jane Brown
Some good news for the province’s public high school students. The president of the union which represents 60-thousand Secondary School teachers has put off job action that was planned to start today. Ken Coran released a statement to say he’s been communicating with government representatives in the interest of going forward and seeking resolutions following the passage of a new controversial law.
Members of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation had been told to skip staff meetings and forgo standardized tests. In the previously planned job action, local bargaining units could have decided to instruct teachers to stop doing other tasks as well, such as not submitting student attendance or participating in curriculum or course writing.
Coran says the planned labour sanctions have been delayed until just before midnight this coming Sunday. Education Minister Laurel Broten says she is pleased with the union’s decision and is looking forward to the coming talks.
To learn about advertising opportunities with Zoomer Radio use the link below: