Jun 05, 2023
By Christine Ross
Outrage continues to build after news that convicted killer Paul Bernardo has been moved to a medium security prison in Quebec from a maximum secure prison near Kingston.
Premier Doug Ford released a statement that reads: “Paul Bernardo should rot in a maximum-security prison for the rest of his miserable existence. Full stop.”
Lawyer Tim Danson represented the families of victims Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.
“When we got the call last week from Corrections Canada advising us that Paul Bernardo had been transferred to a medium security penitentiary and I asked why what was the basis, what was the justification, what was the process, and they refused to answer our questions on the basis of Paul Bernardo privacy interest,” said Danson.
Danson says it’s re-victimizing the families all over again who he says are shocked and stunned.
Meantime, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he’s leaving it up to the public safety minister to find out why one of Canada’s most notorious criminals was moved.
“Minister Mendicino came out very strongly last week indicating that he would find clearer answers and explain to Canadians what happened and what we’re going to be doing about it.”
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is calling on the government to use whatever tools it can to reverse the Correctional Services decision.