May 26, 2021

By Christine Ross

Share on

Toronto is launching VaxTO to connect residents with vaccine appointments to push the rate above 70 percent.

“We’ve now done 65 percent, that’s a commendable level to reach in a relatively short period of time but that’s still leaves 35 percent who have not yet been vaccinated and to push the numbers higher will be crucial in our progressing through the province’s Road Map to Reopen which relies heavily on vaccination levels,” said Tory.

He says texts, emails, telephone town halls and targeted social media will be used to let people know about vaccines and offer information and them.

Toronto Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa revealed that 28 percent of those 80 and older still have not received a first dose of the vaccine, even though they are the most vulnerable.

The Mayor also addressed the record number of overdose deaths in the city. A new report finds 521 Toronto residents died by overdose last year, a new record high – 78 percent increase from 2019. John Tory says the pandemic has played a huge role in the opoiod overdose crisis.

“I do believe it is something that we don’t talk about enough but requires intensive attention because it too is a public health crisis,” explained Tory. “We should all be deeply concerned about the lives being lost.”

Tory says he has relationships with two families who lost members to drug overdoses.

Advertise With Us

To learn about advertising opportunities with Zoomer Radio use the link below:

Join Our Fan Club
Coverage Area
Downtown Toronto
Toronto HD
96.3 HD-2
Kingston to Windsor, Parry Sound to Pittsburgh
ZoomerRadio Logo

Recently Played: