Feb 24, 2021
By Christine Ross
Some disappointing news for organizers of Toronto summer festivals. Mayor Tory says the city is cancelling all outdoor events and parades until July 1st, including Pride Parade, Canada Day celebrations, festivals and fireworks.
“The real reason we have to move today on dates as far ahead as July 1st because these organizations often have to sign substantial contracts to buy or rent different things and they need to know and so if you look at something like Canada Day, the fun is in the crowd scenes,” said Mayor John Tory.
The events can still be held virtually. Here is the news release from the city.
Despite news Toronto is cancelling all outdoor events and parades until July 1st, the C-N-E is planning to go ahead this summer.
The ‘Ex was cancelled last year, opting for a virual version instead, but organizers are planning for an in-person event in late August as long as public health measures allow it.
In 2019, more than 1.5 million people attended the CNE during its 18-day run.
Last year’s cancellation resulted in a loss of more than 6 million dollars the event is a major driver for the city.
To learn about advertising opportunities with Zoomer Radio use the link below: