Feb 17, 2021
By Christine Ross
Top doctors from Toronto and Peel Region have jointly written a letter to the province asking the lockdown be extended until at least March 9th. Toronto Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa says the variant count is the “tip of the iceberg” and a potential third wave will be worse than anything experienced so far.
“I’ve never been as concerned about the threat of COVID-19 to your health as I am now, not at any other point in the pandemic,” cautioned Dr. de Villa.
Mayor John Tory says he full supports Dr. de Villa’s request to delay the city’s gradual re-opening.
“The worst mistake we could make right now is to ignore the advice of our medical experts and begin to re-open too quickly and we don’t want to find ourselves opening things up, even slightly and then have to close down again just a few weeks from now.”
Peel’s medical officer of health wants Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon to also remain under stay-at-home orders for at least two more weeks. Dr. Lawrence Loh says at that point, children will have been back-to-school for two weeks and he’d re-assess whether it would be the right time to return to the province’s colour-coded framework.
In the past, the province said any decision with re-opening rests with the local health units. So who makes the call? Zoomer Radio’s Fight Back producer Ziv Haddi posed this question to Dr. Loh during Wednesday’s COVID-19 news conference.
“It’s a great question, it’s one that I’ve contemplated, I’ve always tried to work very collaboratively with the province, I think we share a common goal.”
Of the 302 new COVID cases in Toronto, 56 are the variants. There are also 3 more deaths.
All regions in the province, with the exception of Peel and York Regions, Toronto as well as North Bay-Parry Sound have come out of stay-at-home orders and are in the various colour-coded levels of restrictions.
Most are in red with Niagara still in the grey lockdown zone.