Jan 14, 2021
By Jane Brown
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AND CIVIL PROTECTION ACT
Terms of Order
1. The terms of this Order are set out in Schedule 1.
2. This Order applies as of 12:01 a.m. on January 14, 2021.
3. In this Order,
“Stage 1 Order” means Ontario Regulation 82/20 (Rules for Areas in Stage 1) made under the
Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, 2020.
Requirement to remain in residence
1. (1) Every individual shall remain in their place of residence at all times unless leaving
their place of residence if necessary for one or more of the following purposes:
Work, school and child care
1. Working or volunteering where the nature of the work or volunteering requires the
individual to leave their residence, including when the individual’s employer has
determined that the nature of the individual’s work requires attendance at the
2. Attending school or a post-secondary institution.
3. Attending, obtaining or providing child care.
4. Receiving or providing training or educational services.
Obtaining goods and services
5. Obtaining food, beverages and personal care items.
6. Obtaining goods or services that are necessary for the health or safety of an
individual, including health care services and medications.
7. Obtaining goods, obtaining services, or performing such activities as are necessary for
the safe operation, maintenance and sanitation of households, businesses, means of
transportation or other places.
8. Purchasing or picking up goods through an alternative method of sale, such as
curbside pickup, from a business or place that is permitted to provide curbside pickup
under the Stage 1 Order.
9. Attending an appointment at a business or place that is permitted to be open by
appointment under the Stage 1 Order.
10. Obtaining services from a financial institution or cheque cashing service.
11. Obtaining government services, social services and supports, mental health support
services or addictions support services.
12. Delivering goods or providing care or other support or assistance to an individual who
requires support or assistance, or receiving such support or assistance, including,
i. providing care for an individual in a congregate care setting, and
ii. accompanying an individual who requires assistance leaving their residence
for any purpose permitted under this Order.
13. Taking a child to the child’s parent or guardian or to the parent or guardian’s
14. Taking a member of the individual’s household to any place the member of the
household is permitted to go under this Order.
Health, safety and legal purposes
15. Doing anything that is necessary to respond to or avoid an imminent risk to the health
or safety of an individual, including,
i. protecting oneself or others from domestic violence,
ii. leaving or assisting someone in leaving unsafe living conditions, and
iii. seeking emergency assistance.
16. Exercising, including,
i. walking or moving around outdoors using an assistive mobility device, or
ii. using an outdoor recreational amenity that is permitted to be open under the
Stage 1 Order.
17. Attending a place as required by law or in relation to the administration of justice.
18. Exercising an Aboriginal or treaty right as recognized and affirmed by section 35 of
the Constitution Act, 1982.
Multiple residences and moving
19. Travelling to another residence of the individual if,
i. the individual intends to be at the residence for less than 24 hours and is
attending for one of the purposes set out in this order; or
ii. the individual intends to reside at the residence for at least 14 days.
20. Travelling between the homes of parents, guardians or caregivers, if the individual is
under their care.
21. Making arrangements to purchase or, sell a residence or to begin or end a residential
22. Moving residences.
23. Travelling to an airport, bus station or train station for the purpose of travelling to a
destination that is outside of the Province.
24. Attending a gathering for the purpose of a wedding, a funeral or a religious service,
rite or ceremony that is permitted under the Stage 1 Order or making necessary
arrangements for the purpose of such a gathering.
25. If the individual lives alone, gathering with the members of a single household.
26. Obtaining goods or services that are necessary for the health or safety of an animal,
including obtaining veterinary services.
27. Obtaining animal food or supplies.
28. Doing anything that is necessary to respond to or avoid an imminent risk to the health
or safety of an animal, including protecting an animal from suffering abuse.
29. Walking or otherwise exercising an animal.
(2) Despite subsection (1), no person shall attend a business or place that is required to be
closed under the Stage 1 Order, except to the extent that temporary access to the closed business
or place is permitted under subsection 1 (6) of Schedule 1 to the Stage 1 Order.
(3) This Order does not apply to individuals who are homeless.
(4) If this Order allows an individual to leave their residence to go to a place, it also
authorizes them to return to their residence from that place.
(5) The requirement in subsection (1) to remain at an individual’s place of residence does
not prevent the individual from accessing outdoor parts of their place of residence, such as a
backyard, or accessing indoor or outdoor common areas of the communal residences in which
they reside that are open, including lobbies.
(6) For greater certainty, nothing in this Order permits a business or place to be open if it is
required to be closed under the Stage 1 Order.
(7) For greater certainty, nothing in this Order permits an individual to gather with other
individuals if the gathering is not permitted under the Stage 1 Order.
(8) For greater certainty, individuals may only attend an outdoor organized public event or
social gathering that is permitted under the Stage 1 Order for a purpose set out in subsection (1)