Dec 29, 2020
By Jane Brown
We Ontarians can expect an update on the COVID-19 vaccine roll out Tuesday morning from the head of the province’s vaccine task force.
The announcement from Retired General Rick Hillier comes after he took the blame for a decision to stop the vaccination program on December 25th and 26th.
“We’ll improve, we’ll be better and not only will we catch up but we’ll surpass what we intended to do,” Hillier promised.
General Hillier says the clinics were closed for two days and then only reopened to limited capacity on the 27th and 28th to give healthcare workers a break. He says this was a mistake and it was his fault for allowing it to happen. A statement from the Ministry of Health says the modified holiday schedule had been requested by the hospitals.
All 19 COVID-19 vaccination clinics are expected to reopen today.
As for the plan going forward, General Hillier says, “in two weeks from now we want to be doing 12,000 vaccinations per day. By February or March, we want to be doing 25,000 per day. And we’re looking at millions of doses coming in the Springtime. We’re building for that because we’ll be looking at 100,000 plus vaccinations per day because in April, May and June, that’s when we’ll get the bulk of the people of Ontario an opportunity to be vaccinated.”
As for how people will be contacted or whether they will need to sign up to get a COVID-19 vaccine, that remains unclear.