The Progressive Conservatives are calling for Energy Minister Chris Bentley’s resignation after the Ontario Power Authority and the Ministry of Energy found another 20,000 documents related to cancelled power stations in Oakville and Mississauga.
The discovery comes weeks after Energy Minister Chris Bentley said all documents had been made public.
All legislative business ground to a halt for a week while members debated a contempt motion against Bentley, which was triggered by the government’s reluctance to release the gas plant documents to a committee.
Last month, Bentley released 36,000 pages of emails and correspondence which the government said showed the cost of cancelling the two energy projects was $230 million, while the opposition parties said it was closer to $650 million.
However, the OPA announced today it had turned over nearly 14,000 more documents and apologized for not releasing them with the original batch.
At the same time, the Ministry of Energy said it had found another 6,000 documents in its files that should have been released last month.
Bentley issued a statement saying he had been advised by the OPA and by ministry officials “that all responsive records” were submitted in the original 36,000 pages released on Sept. 24, 2012.