The landslide of sexual misconduct claims has now reached the Classical music world, with news that the New York Metropolitan Opera is suspending its relationship with longtime conductor James Levine.
The 74 year old Maestro is accused of sexual misconduct by three different males and had been accused of unspecified allegations as early as 1979.
Levine, became musical director of the Met in 1976 and continued to work there as recently as Saturday night, when he completed his run conducting Verdi’s “Requiem”. He was scheduled to conduct “Tosca,” on New Year’s Eve.
In a statement released yesterday, the opera company said Levine will not be involved in any Met activities and it is hiring a former U.S. attorney to lead a full and complete investigation.
Met officials said in an earlier statement that Levine has denied the charges.